Friday, August 3, 2007

They did it!!

Not only did they publish my letter, but check out the headline they gave it:

MDs responsible for rise in caesareans

Times Colonist

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Re: "Canada's caesarean capital," July 29.

How dare the doctors quoted in the article blame the high caesarean rate on women without taking any responsibility themselves.

I, too, underwent what I believe was an unnecessary caesarean at VGH. At no time was I realistically given other options and at no time were the risks of caesarean surgery explained to me.

Labouring mothers in the maternity ward at VGH are very much on their own when it comes to obtaining information. If you as a labouring mom don't ask the right questions, no one will volunteer the information.

The only way the caesarean rate is going to drop is if labouring moms and their birth partners advocate for themselves. Doctors, midwives and nurses aren't going to do it for them.

Kelly M---,
Victoria

No comments: