Thursday, August 9, 2007

Becoming a Doula

I decided shortly after my son was born that I would like to become a doula. I don't want any more women to have an unnecessary caesarean due to lack of information. I dream of whispering in the labouring mother's ear - reminding her to demand that her doctor give her all the information before she consents to or declines a particular intervention.

Tonight I began my training by attending the first of a 6-week prenatal class - a requirement for attending doula training this winter.

It was amazing. I had taken my own prenatal classes there. I don't know if I ignored what they said (can't imagine I did), if I was distracted, or if I'm looking through a different lens this time, but I heard things I'd never heard before.

The knee-chest position can help an asynclitic baby reposition. Doing lunges while pushing can help move a sticky shoulder past the pubic bone.

Good stuff.

It was traumatic in a way, too. I remembered vividly being in that room with my husband and my belly. I felt the hope of all the families there. I felt renewed pain for the labour and birth I did not experience. I cried more than once and felt silly - I was just supposed to observe. I didn't think I would feel it so deeply.

At times I question my motivation and it seems selfish. Is it wrong to avenge the wrong done to me by helping other women avoid intervention? I think I'm looking at the role of a doula too narrowly. We're supposed to be whatever the mom needs, right? I worry that I won't know.



Oh well, it was only the first day.

1 comment:

kgjames said...

Good for you. I envy you, actually. And my motivation to become a CBE is similar to yours...

Sigh.